Monday, March 28, 2011

build complete!

Wow.  So... I'm done.

The worst part of the build came after the last post, and that was installing the chain.  For some reason, the master link was not cooperating, and I could not get it to lock into place.  It would get half-way, and not go further.  Thankfully, the Park MLP-1 pliers ($10 on ebay) were a lifesaver.

I pulled a master link off an old chain (an 1090), but that also wouldn't go on, which lead me to believe it was the adjacent pins that were causing problems.  So after working the pins back and forth, along with some prolink lube, my next attempt with the new link worked, and just a little pedal pressure was all it took to snap into place.  So make sure the ping holding onto the master link have enough room to actually hold onto the master link!

Last night, it tool me a little over 2 hours to cable it all up, dial in the shifting, wrap the bars and tighten everything down.  I feel finally I have a good understanding of how the limit screws work, and when I installed the cabling, with a minimum amount of tightening from the barrel adjusters, everything just worked.   I also highly recommend this torque wrench, the "1/4 DR 20-200IN/LB TORQUE WRENCH MICROMETER ADJUSTABLE"  (catchy).  I got it from someone (optioneparts) on ebay for $22.50.

Already had a set of allen wrench that use 3/8" drive, so a little conversion chuck at the hardware store put this guy into action.  There's actually a Newton-Meter scale written on the wrench, so you don't need that paper.   4 NM agreed exactly with my little Ritchey carbon torque key, so had no reservation for using it elsewhere.  Brakes got 2 NM, seat post 8 NM, derailleurs got 6 NM each, seat locked down at 10 NM, stem and bars at 4 NM, pedals around 20 NM.  I was very careful with the front der clamp, and I doubt there's even 1 NM holding the guy there, but it hasn't slipped. Truthfully there isn't enough leverage to really get on a BB cup, and the necessary torque for those cups are right at the limit of this wrench, so I'm not so sure I would trust the accuracy.

So even though my senses urged me to do a short local ride for the first ride, I hopped on this AM and rode it 20 miles to work.  It was fantastic.  I definitely notice the lightness of the bike, and finally think I understand what people talk about when they call a carbon frame "compliant."  I have to do a little fine-tuning on the front der, but all and all, things came together very nicely.  No rattling or creaking from the components.  Also, this bike is fast.

I haven't had the heart to spoil the look with a saddle bag, and I recently found a little carbon pump at the port ride (hey, I posted to the facebook page, but no one came forward to claim it...), which I may use, but for this ride I just stuffed a tube, a CO2 canister and that little pump in my jersey pocket. I'm not even sure I want a speedometer on this guy.


  1. YAY! Congratulations. Looks awesome and I am really impressed that you have completed this so quickly. Happy Fun Bike!

  2. didnt know park made that link pliers...ive been using an old bent spoke and a channel locks which sort of works but is very fiddly.

    sounds like we should plan on a ride sometime soon...ant

  3. Great build and write up! We await the highly erotic ride reports.